Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My 3rd Soupcon Quilt Along

I could not resist beginning yet another quilt using Karen of Faeries and Fibers instructions for this group quilt along.
It started with this hexagon I had made back in the first week of this group project.

 Soupcon Step 1

I got carried away with the "what if" possibilities and had made a bunch. I had ended up using this one to make valentines. It was printed out on textured paper and then I glued and couched threads to make designs. While doing all that I came across a square of silk I had hand painted quite a few years ago. The color reminded me of roses. So I went digging through the home dec fabric samples and found this piece ...

I scanned it in my printer, cut out one rose and a bunch of leaves and placed them on the hexagon. I liked what I saw a lot.
Soupcon Step 2
Paper cut-outs on left. Machine appliqued and quilted on right.

I had applied bonding to the fabric rose and leaves before cutting them out. The rose and leaves were adhered with a hot iron. The leaves were positioned under the edge of the hexagon and bonded down before it was hand-stitched in place on the background.

I wanted these elements to stand out a bit more on my finished piece so had placed a layer of wool batting on the under side before machine quilting around the rose and leaves. The excess batting was trimmed away.

Now it was time to add the rose-colored ring and background fabric...
Soupcon Step 3

There are a number of ways to make the ring. This is how I did it for this project (I skip this step if the fabric can be spray starched stiff enough to hold its shape).
Many years ago I had purchased this ruler that has holes punched at half inch intervals. By anchoring it into my small ironing pad that is a piece of covered fiber board I can draw my circle. These are the lines that are machine stitched...

The next step is to cut away the excess fabric beyond a seam allowance. Tear away the freezer paper from the inside seam allowance and clip the fabric at close intervals. Note that my scissor points don't go beyond my stitched line.
I use craft glue to adhere the folded seam allowance to the the freezer paper. Note that I fold and glue short sections that are opposite each other on the circle at a time. Repeat those steps for the outside seam allowance. Pin the circle in the desired position and either hand or machine blind stitch in place.

I hand appliqued mine, then machine couched rayon embroidery thread over the edges. (Go here for a tutorial on how I machine couch and scroll down to "couch yarns to the surface"). I used the same stranded rayon floss to embroider around the leaves and the rose.
Also, I wrapped the quilting stitches of the rose petals with this thread.

To my mind this piece begged for "dancing squares" in the next border.
 Soupcon Step 4
I learned this technique in a class taken from Ricky Timms. It goes together something like this...
It's been a while since I had made this type of border and had difficulty getting my spacing figured out. I will be hand appliqueing the two squares pined at the top of the side panels to fill in my too wide spacing.

Go here to see all the creative variations made by the Soupcon group members. If you're intrigued and wish to join the fun of making one of your own, go to Karen's blog to get instructions.

10 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

This one is fabulous, too!

Dolores said...

While I am not a pink person, I do like the combination of pink and gray. It's lovely.

Colleen Kole said...

You are such a good teacher:). And I love seeing your take on this! Beautiful.

Heather said...

Another little stunner! I love the little squares dancing round the border.

June Calender said...

Lovely as the medallion is, the quilt becomes a delight because of the border. A touch that seems entirely individual.

Karen H said...

Absolutely fabulous Nellie! I love the border - very simple but exciting and it just sparkles. The colours are perfect! I'm so happy you are taking what I've started and making it your own!

Kay said...

Very ingenious, and an interesting combination of materials. I like the subtle pieced border too.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great job!

Sheila said...

I came over to check out the dancing squares for another quilt i am working on.. love them , Now to decide whether to do these or my usual wonky square in a square. You certainly push the envelope of creativity. Might linger a while and explore more of your blog.

Sandra said...

The materials you are using for these hexagons is fabulous.