Nellie"s Needles

Friday, May 18, 2012

Orange and Gray Lake Series

This mini-series of lake pieces featuring orange and gray was inspired by a pair of hand-felted slippers.
One of my friends had posted a photo of the slippers on Facebook. I was intrigued by their color and the gradation of the hues from orange to gray. I couldn't get them out of my mind. A few days later Good Goods gallery that carries my artwork in Saugatuck, Michigan put out a call to all their artists to create new pieces for a special show titled "Lake Time." It didn't take long for me to know exactly what I wanted to do ... create three new lake pieces based on the intriguing hues of those slippers. The titles are "By the Light of the Moon," "At Daybreak," and "After the Storm." Each measures 21"x 17" and are mounted on stretched canvas frames. I'll post more about each of these pieces in the near future.

Tomorrow night is the opening reception for this show that celebrates Good Goods twenty-third anniversary. If you're in the area please come. It's from 4-8:00, Saturday, May 19th.  Go here to see photos of some of the other art created especially for this show.


Oh ... I ordered those slippers all the way from Lithuania and am considering wearing them to the party.

9 comments:

Colleen Kole said...

I can't wait to see you and your beautiful lake pieces.

Heather said...

Those slippers look cosy and I love the lake quilts. The water looks really wet and the skies are wonderful.

Thea Belecz said...

These are really beautiful. I grew up in Michigan and miss it very much. These pieces are great reminders of what I love about MI so much - and I love how your mind went from great slippers to great pieces! Good work.

p said...

haha you should wear them! i love that you bought them and they were an inspiration for this lovely piece!!!
ps i see your new little we heart it box with good art in there !!! ;) how cool.

McIrish Annie said...

These pieces are fabulous! Love the slippers too

Lynnda Tenpenny said...

Those colors really are beautiful and subtle.

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, those are beautiful! Now I want to create and orange to gray dyed gradient.

June Calender said...

Love the photo arrangement with the slippers and quilts -- it's inspiration and realization -- and artistic statement in itself.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your work is amazing! Perhaps the most original and inspiring work fabric art that I have ever seen!