Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mountain Sunrise Study #2

The first fabric study* is complete...

17"x 13"
There's a lot about it that I'm not happy with ... mainly that there's too much pastel work.  Working in this small scale I find it difficult to make the fabric patterns and pieces "read" the way I want them to.  Here's a photo taken of it earlier in the process ...
... before I got out the pastels ... before a lot of the middle and fore ground details were added.

Working through this first one has helped me to more clearly see the range of hues that I need to be gathering from my scrap bags.  I'll again be going through those first two that these bits and pieces came from.

Here are the fabric and paper studies together.

I already see changes I want to make to the composition.  There'll be time for another fabric study before we have house guests next week.


*The paper/pastel study is number one.

7 comments:

Rian said...

If you're not happy with it, you can send it to me. I know someone who would be BERRY HAPPY with it...

Unknown said...

I right behind Rian here! Will be watching to see where you go with this. I trust your 'eye' to see the way.

Heather said...

It looks beautiful to my untutored eye Nellie, but I'm sure it will look even more so when you are happy with it. It must be very difficult making a small scale fabric study and then working up to full scale.

Mermaid's Purse said...

It looks lovely to me too but I very much look forward to seeing what comes next!

Michele Matucheski said...

It's gorgeous! Even if it's not quite what you had in mind, it is beautiful!

KathyE said...

I think it is wonderful, too. I find the problem with making art quilts is knowing "when you're done!"

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I am loving this study. I am amazed with what you are doing again! This is going to be really fantastic once you make the changes you feel need to be done. I am loving these studies a lot!