Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

More Mini Prairie Flowers

More mini quilts made with the pieced together cut-offs from "Prairie Performance" as their foundation have been created.
I position the main elements, such as the blossom, stems, leaves, and of course Elvis on the background first so I can determine a "point of view" or perspective. Those get removed so the background can be filled in with more scraps of thread and fabric. A layer of netting is laid over that and then it gets quilted.
Most of the flowers and leaves that are the focal point or in the foreground are machine appliqued onto the surface so they're dimensional.






That makes 12 of the 20 I intend to make. Five of my friends who've contributed scraps that were used in the prairie flower installation received their quilts after our SMQ Guild meeting last evening. One got hers last weekend when we were in the mountains. Tomorrow several more will get their's at Thursday Bee. Only 8 more to make.

PS: Did you find Elvis in each of those?

10 comments:

arlee said...

:) i found my Elvis :}

Leah said...

oooh, how pretty. my favorite is the last one, like purple coneflowers. how pretty!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These are all great Nellie! Yes I found Elvis (it's a challenge to look for him in all your work now...fun).

Flowers said...

All the paintings of flowers on your blog looks awesome. Your painting is a combination of textures and elements. So softly feminine, and intricate. Beautiful!

Heather said...

How delighted your friends must be with their mini-quilts and I think Elvis is watching your progress with interest. Each one is a little work of art in it's own right.

Kathy Raker said...

I have enjoyed watching the progress of these mini quilts. Love them!

verobirdie said...

Lovely miniquilts!
And I loved searching for Elvis (and finding him).

Maggie R said...

Nellie you are the QUEEN of flowers... Your work is magnificent... Thanks so much for sharing..
Please take time out to pop over to my blog and enter my give away to celebrate my Bloboversary
xoxo
((((hugs))))mMaggie

FARBTUPFER said...

Wonderful - your flowers - such a beautiful art
LG
Waltraud

Libby Fife said...

I do like the closeup/faraway perspectives mixed together.