Nellie"s Needles

Friday, January 30, 2009

Painted Birds

I am loving LuminArte Twinkling H2O paints. They have enabled me to make a bird with black fabric. I had been wanting to do that, but using just black or even subtle printed black fabrics just didn't appeal to me ... or at least there were none in my stash that did. I wanted that iridescent sheen that shines from black feathered birds. Now I've got it for this red-winged blackbird.
The subtle fabric for the bird below was chosen because I knew I could add that iridescent sheen of real feathers to it too. Previously, I would've considered this fabric choice a bit too subtle ... and boring to work with.
The paint is added after the birds are constructed, but before the beaks are glued on. I work on separate areas at a time, usually starting with the head, then down to its back, then the wings, and finally the under body. I've found it works best to brush just water onto an area before applying the paint. Mostly I'm after the iridescent colored sheen of these paints. I like that the fabric patterns and colors are not obscured. Although, a heavier application of paint will change the fabric color if that is desired ... as I did the yellow in the fabric of my giveaway gift bird for One World - One Heart.

These LuminArte Twinkling H2O paints are recommended for paper, canvas, rocks, wood and even Easter Eggs! It is also light fast which is a good property in regards to my birds. I have tested the color fastness on fabric by heat setting it with an iron. There wasn't too much loss of color when I rewet it and then ironed it again over a piece of white fabric. There was a lot of loss of the iridescence, however. I would not use this paint on any project that required washing. My use will be limited to art pieces.

Now, I'm off to hunt up some dark and black fabrics to play some more with my new set of paints. The aspect of FUN in making so many birds had begun to dissipate, but now it's back. Woo Hoo!

10 comments:

Denise Felton said...

Brilliant! I've never thought to use my Twinkling H2Os on fabric! I can't wait to share this tip. I've scheduled a link to your post to go live on my blog later this afternoon. (Central USA time) I hope it brings you a few extra clicks.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Diane Cransac said...

That paint sounds so fun to work with. The birds look beautiful!

Annie Pazoo said...

These are wonderful, Nellie! I've loved watching all of your birds over time :-)

Libby Fife said...

Nellie-As usual, thanks for the idea. I tried out exactly what you said-wetting the fabric a little beforehand which allows the paint to spread a bit. I like the idea of it although I wouldn't suggest painting large areas of blank fabric. I like it for highlighting though just as you suggested. I am going to post my test effort shortly.
Thanks again,
Libby

Grangry said...

Wow Nellie! I'm watching evolution at work!

Heather said...

Thankyou for the tip on undoing knitting to crinkle the yarn. I love your birds - they are so beautiful. I would never have thought of using Twinkling H2Os on fabric. I am off now to take a look further back on your blog, and to explore your other lovely pieces of work.

Vicki W said...

Beautiful birds!

McIrish Annie said...

I have never tried these paints but will now! what a great look on black.

Patti G. said...

Nellie, the paints have made this fabric just magical! I am sure even moreso in person~ wow! Just loving your birds! <3
Hugs,Patti

Karen said...

These birds are so creative. I am going to have to try my hand at one. Your postcards are also amazing. I could spend hours just perusing your blog!