Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Flower Power" for Susan

I was the fourth contributor to Susan of Spokane's "Flower Power" themed Exquisite Corpse piece. My work blends into the edge of Arlee's section, but hardly into Susan's. Aargh! I wish I had been more attentive to that edge. It's now up to Susan to meld our work together.
I used my "ortwork" collage technique. I constructed it separately from Susan's whole piece. It consists of silk flowers, "bits & pieces", and roving collaged over a hand-painted background fabric plus a thin layer of batting. Tulle netting and free-motion quilting holds it all together. A bit more quilting secures it to Susan's large piece.
I have had the experience of being among such an array of wild flowers on a sunny blue skied day and have definitely felt their "power" ... I just collapsed and didn't want to leave.

Go here to see Susan's photos of the whole piece on Flicker.
Go here to read Susan's reveal and description of the whole piece as well as posts about the whole Exquisite Corpse Project.

1 comment:

verobirdie said...

your technique is spectacular and those flowers are beautiful! You did a great work.