Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Lake Series At the Lake

I had an appointment to introduce my Lake Series pieces to Good Goods gallery in Saugatuck this morning. Yippee!!!! They loved them and kept 12 out of the 26 made so far.

It's been a few weeks since I've made any. Instead of unpacking more boxes or weeding I made one this afternoon. I've been curious how that would go when in the presence of the lake. I don't know if that was the factor that made putting this one together difficult, or if it's that I'm out of practice. Somehow, I couldn't look at the lake while constructing this piece. I kept my back to the window ... to this Here it is under construction. Part of the old stadium blanket that's used for the batting is visible at the top. It was fun choosing from new scrap bags. I'd forgotten there were so many orts from projects made here at the cottage. Reminiscing about each ones origin made me smile and feel excited about making future lake pieces.

I ended up doing quite a bit of oil pastel work to blend the elements. In spite of the struggle, Lee claims it's his favorite (of the moment).
Lake #27

To view photos of previous pieces in this series, click on the album covers in the sidebar. To read about the making of previous pieces click on the label, Lake Series.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Im so happy for you! Of course it is no surprise that they kept so many, very very cool!
Your latest is also my favorite. What a wonderful deep blue. I can hear the waves crashing and the seagulls screeching...Love the sky in this one with its subtle hints of lavender.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Congratulations on Good Goods accepting 12 of your pieces! I love seeing the plaid blanket under there as batting...somehow I am fascinated by having this secret knowledge. It almost adds to the complexity of the visible strata. I think maybe that is why Lee likes it so much. There is this deeper sense of movement in the deliniations...must be the secret ambiquity of the plaid..ha! Previously, you asked if the 'real' lake is more real than the art which imitates it. Strangely, I find the art more real. I think because there is so much of you in the art...all of these layers of meaning and craft and feelings...and hey, even some plaid!

p said...

its different...its more open, how cool is that? you change your environment and pow!
congrats on the work being taken, man its hard not to be jealous, but I am genuinely happy for you!!!!!

Joyce said...

It's wonderful! I'm sure having the lake out there has influenced you.

Kay said...

Wonderful, Nellie! How long will they be there? I hope I can get up to see them.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Totally and utterly beautiful. Each one you make is so unique in it's own way and all are gorgeous. Congrats on your pieces being accepted at the gallery.

Teodo said...

Very compliments! Your works are wonderful!
The lake series is beautiful!!!
Thanks for the tutorial in the previous post!
ciao, ciao

Anonymous said...

i am liking how some of those patterns( especially the little blue stripe) are blending into the scene....

Shelina said...

Great job on another beautiful lake scene. I think it is amazing how a stripes of different fabric can look so beautiful, and can look like a beach. If I tried anything like that, it would look like stripes of fabric. Yours looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love your lake series. They're beautiful and capture the essence of Lake MI. I'm sure you'll do well with those.