Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Squared Off

"Squared Off" - 17"x17" -2006
This is the second artwork in my sliced series. I couldn't bear to just discard the black pieces of fabric that were trimmed from behind the patches I had appliqued onto "Circle Round". The photo below was taken mid-process of that cutting away.
For the "Squared Off" piece I stitched four of my 8" patched squares together. The black pieces that were trimmed away from the wrong side of "Circle 'Round" were machine appliqued to this "4 patch" with invisible thread using a tiny zig-zag stitch.
Then it went the wrinkling process. Here's the piece after the quilting was finished.
And a detail of the painting that accentuates the squares within the pattern.
I'm nearly finished quilting the third piece of this series. Can you guess how it's related to "Squared Off"?

All photos are clickable for you to view a larger version in a separate window. Click the back arrow icon of your server to get back to this post. The highlighted text is also clickable to take you to the link or posting that is being referenced.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are looking great! It is so good of you to share this process with us. I am curious about the background of the latest piece. Is that part of it?And if so what is the finished size? I like the way it all looks together.

Nellie's Needles said...

Karen, the beige is the fabric of my design wall that is visible through the plexi-glass frame the quilted piece is mounted on. The plexi-glass measures 17" on each side.