Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

At the Beach

This is the second quilt scene I ever made. I could hardly believe that I could make the lake look so real the first time, so I had to try it again. The first one (previous post "I'm Here") looked like a storm approaching across the lake. For this one I wanted to make a sunny afternoon with a nice breeze ... a perfect day on the beach ... a perfect day for sailing. And, could I make umbrellas that didn't look like beachballs? Yes!

"At the Beach" - 9"x17" - 2003

Below are photos that I took from and on the beach less than an hour ago.

You may recognize this view from the quilt featured in the posting "I'm Off". I hadn't worked from a photo when I made that piece. I just looked at and studied everything each time I was at the beach.

This is the widest the beach has been in the 45 summers that I've been coming here. Definitely have to wear beach shoes across the hot afternoon sand. Our cottage is the one on the far right.

10 comments:

Beverly said...

I feel like I could walk onto the beach with both your quilts- I love how you have re-created not just the physical picture, but the ambiance or "feeling" of the beach. Wonderfully evocative work!

Deb Geyer said...

That is a beautiful beach scene! Good job!

Finn said...

Really like Lake #2 also..but the size surprised me. It doesn't have the feeling of a small piece..*VBS*

Great beach pictures!

Susan Tidwell said...

Your quilt beach scenes are wonderful, you are a real artist! Thanks for sharing.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Would love to be with you at the seaside! Especially as I live right in the middle of the UK, surrounded by the sea, but not any in sight. You are very lucky to be able to tap into this inspirational imagery as a source for your quilts.

Maggie H.

dot said...

Your beach scenes are great. I feel like I am right there. What talent.

Fiona said...

Oh, Nellie, your beach scenes are simply lovely. Like Finn, I am surprised at the size - small sure is beautiful. I'll certainly be keeping track to find out more about the technique for making them.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your beach pieces are amazing! What talent!

Anonymous said...

I love this piece. The colors of the lake are spectacular. And just seeing the photos of the beach are giving me ants in the pants! In a week I'll be there... I can't wait!

Ferret said...

Your beach stopped me in my tracks, you've really captured the feel of it. Well done