Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Toonga (Adventure)


Toonga - 37"x40" - 2002


Description:
Toonga (an African word for adventure) is the second piece in my African series. The fragmented images symbolize my perceptions of Africa ... from a jungle safari to structural and native patterns. I'm also fascinated by the way a herd of huge elephants move so quietly that their presence isn't known until you see them ... plus there is the camouflage of foliage and shadows. You hardly notice them at all in this composition.

Technique:
Machine quilted, machine pieced, hand applique. Yarns are couched to the surface with machine zig zag stitches. The center panel is pieced using Ricky Tims "harmonic convergence" contruction technique.

Materials:
cotton fabric, cotton and polyester threads, beads, yarn, cotton batting

Exhibitions:
2002 Dogwood Arts Quilt Show - Knoxville, TN
          awarded Third Place
2006 Festival of Quilts - Farragut, TN
2008 Good Goods Gallery - Saugatuck, MI


Detail Photos:

2 comments:

Finn said...

Wow..what a great African quilt!

Love the mask and the silently moving elephant that you don't see at first glance...!

Shelina said...

Oooh, I really like this one too! Toonga. I was born in Africa, so African themed quilts draw me to them, and your rendition is awesome! I wish I had your talent.